Orange County Computer Consultant

My photo
Orange County Computer Consultant helps small businesses with networking, installations and small business software.

Monday, September 17, 2007

Microsoft Automatic Updates

It appears that Microsoft has been installing updates without our permission. Tommorow is patch Tuesday. I wonder how many holes they are going to patch?

You can view the knowledge base articles to see what they are installing on your computer there are allot of updates. It would be nice of Microsoft to let users know that they are going to be installing software. It's bad enough that I cannot see the source code. How do I really know what is in those updates? More Spy ware? This is why I love Open Source/Linux. I can view the code and run MD5 checksums to insure that the software has not been tampered with.

I was reading this article in Eweek that stated that they have been doing this for quite some time.